Too much of a good thing

Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The curse of the xoxo

Man is a social being. Update to the 2.0 version now: Man is a social networking being. What's also a given is that everybody can do with a hug. Some would say a kiss is an even better cheer-me-upper. Now I don't have anything against hugs/kisses. Heck, my Orkut profile says I'm even turned on by "public displays of affection". What does bother me is the fact that I have an entrance exam to write in 3 days (If you bought that, I'm also selling flying carpets). The ubiquitous 'xoxo's on Facebook are what bother me. It's not like everytime someone signs off with the aforementioned string of characters, a greyhound is set loose on me, but I don't have anything else to blog about either.
I've had my issues with >:D< and :-* too. The latter would sow in your head seeds of doubt that the person who typed it was actually Sharad Pawar in disguise (y'know, him and :-* both with not-centrally-placed mouths?).
Anyway, then came along the muahh scourge. It is borderline understandable if your face-to-face actions corresponded to your facebook-to-facebook ones. But appending a muahh/mwaah when you wouldn't have done it ordinarily if you were with the person, is just not acceptable. I'd overlook that too, if not for the next generation hugs&kisses. It just baffles and bedafafaffles me! Firstly, there's never a single hug and kiss. I've searched and searched in vain for just an xo. But it's always an xoxo. Secondly, it's always alternatively placed. Two hugs or kisses aren't ever given together. So if you're really bored, and are imagining the sequence, you're guaranteed some laughter.
Sometimes I lapse deep into thought, phasing out from the rest of the mundane world, and I wonder if a lower case 'o' is a tighter hug and whether an upper case 'X' means a sloppier kiss.
Well, it's not gonna be long before your notifications say 'XYZ has commented on a photo of you with an xoxo' or 'XYZ has written on your wall an xoxo'. The day, dear reader, is not far away. Until then, unpredictable as I am, XOXO!

Labels:

posted by Nayantara at 12:13 AM

17 Comments:

xoxo




well, what did you expect?

April 29, 2009 at 12:56 AM  

bedafaffles is a nice word.

You reckon people have XO tics?

April 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM  

Damn, no hidden puns in this?

A hug and then a kiss, is bullshit. Get it? BULLshit. :| :|

April 29, 2009 at 1:42 AM  

hmm... have you seen the movie Bandidas?


I think Penelope Cruz' first kiss in that can be counted as X...

well..anyways...

loved your fotoshop work on the profile though...

XOXO..hah!!!

April 29, 2009 at 5:30 PM  

@ nitin

The one where Hayek and the guy teach her on the bed how to kiss? That was just a slow n00b kiss! Not sloppy at all!

And, it's a ready template; no photoshopping was involved :)

April 30, 2009 at 12:09 AM  

I am in agreement and vent, vicariously.

April 30, 2009 at 9:40 PM  

well written!

April 30, 2009 at 11:35 PM  

Man is an evolving innovative creature. Be creative, don't follow what others do, make other follow what u do.:) happy kissing.

May 1, 2009 at 12:04 AM  

hey
y dont u paste the link of the page from where u hv copied instead of writing whole pagwe

May 1, 2009 at 8:09 PM  

Hmmm...well its just a sign of the shallow relations that we as a species have begun to forge ever since Web 2.0 has allowed us to. Relationships of convenience are the more the regulation than the exception on the net. So it isnt surprising that our expressions of closeness are just as shallow. Web 2.0 has allowed us anonymity...and people use it to the fullest to do most of what they wouldn't be able to do in our real lives. Web 2.0 is giving us a sense of liberation from social regulations and xoxo is how we are using this new found freedom :-)

May 2, 2009 at 2:14 PM  

lol!!

read a few post!! You Rock! :D

May 3, 2009 at 3:36 PM  

I was really bored at office and was imagining the sequence... hehe.. Must say ROFL, had a new meaning today..

May 5, 2009 at 6:41 PM  

Hi,

I have recently started writing a book loosely related to this topic. Thanks for your insight on this topic. Few of the points you have made are intriguing. Got me thinking, new chat lingo for making out would be:
OOxxoxxooXoXXXOUoXXuuXuoxuxoxxoOO
or something of the sort.

In other news, kindly do not dissuade people from using other blogging platforms. A little part of me dies every time someone switches from open to proprietary services.

PS: upper case always means don't care.

May 17, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

*upper case x always means don't care.

May 17, 2009 at 2:17 PM  

@ Eeshan

The making out part is ingenious!
Also, I'd suggest you don't disclose what your horcruxes are, for everyone to see.

May 18, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

it was just an observation, but thanks.

and I'm not really worried about disclosing my horcruxes. In fact, making random unnecessary references to harry potter is one of them too :)

if you are interested in knowing about the blogging platform issues in detail, shoot a mail to me. I'm not sure everyone is interested in the conversation.

May 25, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

Bwaahahahha! Awesome. xoxvintage wedding!?! Louboutin Shoes Christian Louboutin Sandal Beach Wedding dresses

July 23, 2011 at 11:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home